This wonderful plant has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine. In 100 B.C. an Ayurvedic scholar said of ashwagandha “One obtains longevity, regains youth, gets a sharp memory and intellect and freedom from disease, gets a lustrous complexion, and the strength of a horse”. Ashwagandha, or Withania somnifera, is a shrub growing in dry areas. The roots and stems are carefully dried and powdered, thus preserving the rich array of phytochemicals and other nutrients in the plant.
Ashwagandha is an adaptogen, this means that it can help the body deal with stress by boosting brain function and can help to relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression. It can lower cholesterol, fight infections, boost immunity and contains a compound called withaferin which helps to kill cancer cells. Scientific research has shown that ashwagandha is helpful in treating a variety of health issues such as Alzheimer’s disease, insomnia, diabetes and thyroid imbalances.
It increases collagen production in the skin and has antimicrobial activities which protect the skin from acne, heals pimples and blackheads, reduces scars and improves skin tone and elasticity. The powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of ashwagandha make it very beneficial in keeping the scalp healthy. It is a rich source of flavonoids and contains the amino acid tyrosine, which stimulates the production of melanin and helps to slow down the greying of hair. It has been reported to prevent postpartum hair loss by improving scalp circulation, stimulating the production of sebum and strengthening the hair.
• The high levels of anti-oxidants fight wrinkles, fine lines and blemishes in the skin.
• Alkaloids act on the nervous system and reduce stress, thus improving the health of our bodies, hair and skin.
• Soothes and protects against rough, dry skin.
• Contains compounds called withanolides which deep clean the skin, preventing blocked pores and acne.
• It boosts DHEA production in the body which leads to hormonal health.
• It increases collagen and natural skin oil production leading to rejuvenated skin.
• Helps to maintain the pigment in the hair thereby reducing premature greying.
• It helps to promote vigour and vitality.
This product is certified organic by Ecocert and is safe for human consumption. It has not been irradiated. If you wish to take ashwagandha internally, please consult a herbalist or Ayurvedic practioner. As this is a natural product, the colour may vary.
For tips on how to use ashwagandha have a look here.
When you order you will receive 100 grams of pure, certified organic ashwagandha powder packaged in a resealable foil pouch.
Shipping is calculated on the Checkout page. Delivery by courier takes 2-5 working days. If you live outside of South Africa please contact us before placing your order.