Before you start…..
Do a patch skin test to check for allergies. Mix 1/6 teaspoon of dye with warm water and apply to a small area on your inner arm. Cover with clingwrap and leave for 2 hours. Wash off and wait 48 hours. If you experience no irritation during that time it is reasonable to assume that the product is safe for you to use.
Do a strand test before dyeing your whole head. Mix and apply a small amount of dye as instructed to a section of hair, or hair from your hairbrush. This will give an indication of the required application time and final colour. For example, if you do a strand test for 1.5 hours, and the resultant colour is not dark/rich enough for you, when you do the dye application on your hair, you will leave the dye mixture on for longer. Please do not skip this step, especially if you have previously bleached, permed or straightened your hair. These treatments change the hair structure and will make colour results unpredictable.
Dyeing your hair with plant extracts is immensely satisfying and healthy but it is not a precise science. Herbal dyes work with your unique hair type and colour and thus exact colours for your hair type cannot be guaranteed.
- Apply to freshly washed, dry or slightly damp hair.
- Use a non-metallic bowl and spoon/spatula to mix the dye.
- Slowly add 300-350ml warm water to the dye powder and mix to a smooth consistency, similar to pancake batter. It must be thick enough not to run off your hair and thin enough to apply easily and smoothly. If it is too diluted it will lose efficacy, and if it is too thick it will not coat the hair properly.
- Cover your shoulders with a towel and put on the gloves.
- Apply dye to your hair in sections using your fingers. Start with the roots and work your way to the ends.
- Apply the dye mixture in a thick layer using your fingers (not a brush), especially on roots and grey areas. You need to ‘gloop’ it on.
- When your hair is covered, pile it on top of your head. Wipe any dye off your ears and hairline.
- Cover your head with clingwrap and wrap a towel around your head. This ensures that the dye is tightly packed on your roots and that your head is warm. The dye releases most effectively with warmth. A showercap or plastic bag is not as effective as it allows your roots to ‘spring’ away from your scalp and possibly out of the dye mixture.
- Leave the dye on for 1-4 hours. You can experiment with leaving it on for longer but don’t let it dry on your hair.
- If you are covering grey and have access to a hair salon, you can sit under a salon dryer for an hour. This will greatly improve grey coverage.
- Alternatively you can sit in the sun or use a hair-dryer over the clingwrap.
- You can unwrap your head 20 min before the end of the application time. This will allow the dye to start oxidising. Keep your head warm and the dye mixture packed on your hair.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly until the water runs clear. This is very important. If the dye is not thoroughly rinsed out before shampooing, the colour may bleed for days afterwards.
- Give your hair two vigorous shampoos and condition. You can also rinse thoroughly and just condition your hair. This sometimes assists the dyeing process.
- Try and avoid hair care products containing essential oils, such as tea tree and mint. I have found that these essential oils sometimes strip the indigo component of the dye out of the hair. A good range is Nature’s Gate available from Wellness Warehouse.
- Allow 24-48 hours after application for the dye to oxidise and develop to the final colour.
- If your hair feels dry after using Love My Hair, 3 days after dye application you can apply extra-virgin coconut oil to your roots and comb through. Leave it on for a couple of hours and then shampoo and condition your hair. It’s a good idea to give your hair a coconut oil treatment on a regular basis, but please use the organic, extra-virgin oil. The deodorized version is not as effective.
- You can use Love My Hair to dye your eyebrows, just make sure it doesn’t run into your eyes.
- Do not inhale or ingest the dye.
- Do not dye your eye lashes.
- Do not apply the dye to broken or irritated skin.
- If the dye mixture comes into contact with the eyes, wash immediately with water.
- Love My Hair 100% Herbal offers a safer option to chemical dyes during pregnancy. However the dyes have not been clinically tested to determine safety in pregnancy so please use these products at your discretion.
- Keep the package and its contents away from children.
- Once the dye powder is mixed with water it must be used immediately and cannot be stored.
If the dye packet is unopened and kept in a cool place it will last over 24 months. After opening, reseal the packet tightly and store it in a cool, dry and dark place. If not properly sealed, the dye powder will react with moisture in the air and start oxidising, thus making it less effective.
If you would like more information or advice please do get in touch.
P.O. Box 53095, Kenilworth, 7745,
Phone: +27 733724578 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org